Thursday, February 8, 2018

Unbelievable Truth


The following is not meant to judge, blame or offend.  It is merely a reflection of my evolution to an older, wiser woman

The truth is not always convenient
Each perspective can appear different
When each party chooses to stand their ground
Anger and resentment often abound

As I child, I thought my mom a monster
As a teen, I believed I hated her
I was sure my punishments were unjust
Since I’m adopted, she must hate my guts

Enlightenment came as a child one day
My partner’s daughter stepped on my pathway
I was ill prepared for a parent role
And failed miserably, or so I’m told

I birthed one girl, adopted another
To each, my title held the word “mother”
As time passed, I understood my mom more
Becoming a mom had evened the score

My girls have each come to me as adults
Feeding me servings of parenting guilt
I want to dispute each one’s perspective
But realize that my words aren’t effective

Recently, in our phone conversation,
My mom said, “I tried hard, but I’m human
I made mistakes that I regret deeply”
Showing another perspective to me

Some days were rough, and some were amazing
My temper flared up over many things
Perhaps I was tired or really stressed
My coping skills, probably not the best

The youngest is my adopted daughter
Who portrays me an absolute monster
My perspective is very different
Perhaps I gained momentum as I went?

She just had her first, so now they’re all moms
I wish them well as I pass the baton
They still harbor resentment in degrees
The youngest swears she’ll never be like me

Perhaps my example will break the chain
They’ll parent their children the perfect way
Their children will only recall the good
Their parenting won’t be misunderstood

For the record, I have four boys as well
Who each did their share of making life hell
But none of them have ever shared with me
Their own perspective of disharmony

The unbelievable truth, we’re human
Perception clashes are bound to happen
I bow to my mother who did her best
Who raised four children with single-mom stress

I turn to my daughters, bow to them too
Pray, though they will, your kids never judge you
For the mistakes I made, I apologize
Perhaps, my perspective they’ll realize


                                                       Jody Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment