Friday, October 2, 2009

Beet, Pear, and Feta Salad

OMSH!! (I'm Mormon so that would mean "Oh My Stinkin Heck!"). This salad was phenomenal!!! I was a little skeptical so I procrastinated for awhile. Skip, who absolutely HATES beets, actually enjoyed quite a generous bowl of it! Beware; you do have to soak the pumpkin seeds ahead of time. So, go ahead, be daring, try it!

4 beets (I peeled them)
3 ripe pears
one head of butter lettuce, washed and dried
1 cup pumpkin seeds, soaked overnight and drained
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
7 oz. feta cheese
optional: mint leaves, chopped
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Cut beets and pears finely into matchsticks (I grated mine. It was easy and fabulous). Add pumpkin seeds. Drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil over all and toss. Crumble feta on top (and optional mint leaves, chopped). Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve on leaves of butter lettuce. (Optionally, the salad can be served as a wrap inside the lettuce leaves.)

No comments:

Post a Comment