Monday, February 4, 2013

Getting in the Body

I was working on this blogsite today and realized it's been quite a bit of time since I've posted anything.  Mostly just recipes.  Although eating is a good thing (okay, it's a down right BEAUTIFUL thing!), there is more to life than food (I have to keep reminding myself of this).

I have been focusing a lot of energy as of late on my yoga classes.  I am constantly working on putting together creative and effective sequences so that my students can gain the maximum benefit from their yoga experience with me.  I know I've had a great class when my students are packing up to leave the studio and I hear comments like, "Wow, I am so blissed out right now."  Inside I have a big smile knowing that I'm doing my job.  That's my goal . . . to have my students leave feeling relaxed, refreshed and renewed.

Tonight I teach YogaPlus up in San Ramon at 7:15.  I have put together a class targeting the hamstrings.  Although, the class is designed to enable mostly people with larger bodies to learn to develop and embrace a regular yoga practice, most of my students are popping in because the time fits their schedule or they are seeking a beginning or gentle class.  Well . . . you're in luck!  That's perfect and all are welcome.

My music is a mix of a little of this and lot of that.  I try to keep it neutral so that it is just in the background and my students can focus on being in their body.  After all . . . isn't that why we are on the mat?  To be inside of our body?

I heard a beautiful quote that I'd like to share right now with you:  I do not use my body to get into the pose but rather use the pose to get into my body.  

Truly, I feel that this is beautiful and exactly how I choose to teach.  I want each of my students to walk away with the euphoria of having spent time "in the body."

1 comment:

  1. you should post your favorite yoga playlist! i can show you how to put the music into a player that people can listen to here on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete