Monday, April 24, 2017

Thirty Years

Thirty years ago, today, we agreed
Best friends and lovers, we would always be
In front of Reverend Love, I took your name
Vowing to love you through good times and pain

We had it all figured out, the perfect plan
Retiring early, traveling the land
We’d stash away money, live like fat cats
Just work a few more years, then enjoy that

Somehow the Universe didn’t agree
That this would be the path of our journey
A mighty big detour around the bend
Had us rethinking our life plan again

Along came our kids, kept us on the go
That it’d be this way, we’d never have known
Soon a busy life with three girls, four boys
Bringing lots of pain and our greatest joy

Now some new names, Papa and Granny Jo
We wear them proudly, who’d ever have known?
With four grand babes, number five on the way
Yes, our life right now is pretty damn great

Through all we’ve been through, you’re still by my side
Whatever’s in store, I’m down for the ride
Happy anniversary, my best friend
If I could go back, I’d do it again

No comments:

Post a Comment